Monday, December 31, 2018

ICELAND - DAY 18 - JUNE 20

Well, it turns out I spent 3 nights in Saudarkrokur or as I like to call it, "Soda Cracker". This was a combination of a very comfortable place to stay, waiting out a cold snap, and being a lazy bugger. In any case, this might have been a short term wise choice as when I left it was a bluebird day. Really the best day so far with mild headwinds and nary a cloud in the sky. There were no bluebirds, but scores of I think killdeers, screeching at me and staying just ahead to lead me away from their nests.

I only took 172 pictures and videos because when the sun is out, it's quite magical. Be sure and check out the videos. In one you can hear the killdeers (or a similar bird) hollering at me.

The first and only town of any size is Hofsos with it's bright blue church. The lupines are everywhere, and I have read that they are the Alaskan Lupine, an invasive species, introduced in 1885. Some people want to eradicate them, other people use them to prevent soil erosion. I think they add a terrific purple to the already colorful landscape.

It was a great ride with the last 10 miles very rolling and California coast-like with some gravel sections. There was a half-mile long one-lane tunnel before dropping into Siglufjordur. This is a very picturesque town! I'm told by a friend that the TV show "Trapped" is filmed here. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 100% and I will watch it when I get home. I found an interesting hostel built in a warehouse on top of a garage where they assemble electric cargo bicycles that are made in China, naturally.

Route;





Pictures;


No comments:

Post a Comment