Thursday, January 3, 2019

ICELAND-NOVA SCOTIA - DAY 40 & 41 - JULY 12 & 13

After biding my time for nearly a week, I was ready to get on with my travels. With the gracious help form Hjordis at the Bike Cave, who took me to pick up a bike box, and her boyfriend's son who drove me to the airport, I was packed and ready to fly at the Keflavik Airport. 

I was there very early, so no rushing. This is a very nice airport, well designed and pleasant. No taking off of shoes at security or full body scan. Security did not have to rip open my bike box to inspect, only an x-ray. Then there was a little glitch. While waiting at the designated gate, we had to switch gates, not once, but twice. The flight left about an hour late.

I thought I might have time to catch a late bus at the Halifax Airport for the 20 mile trip into town, or possibly bike it. With the late departure and my slow unpacking and putting my bike together, the last bus had gone. And unlike Iceland, the sun sets here at 9 PM and it was dark out. I had plotted out a route previously, keeping me off the major highways and put it on my Garmin. I had a reservation at Mount Saint Vincent University, near town. I was off in the dark, my body saying it was 2 AM, when the actual time here was 11 PM. 

I was using a camping headlight instead of my powerful 700 lumen bike light that I left home to save a mere 5 ounces. Somehow I survived the ride, only getting lost once on a dirt road, and having to ride a fast highway for about 5 miles. The back roads were very empty, quiet, mild temps, and I had a tailwind most of the way.

When making the reservation, I was told there was a bit of a climb to reach the student housing. Relieved to finally be there I approached this hill. Perhaps I was over-tired or anxious, but I blew the downshift and my chain lodged into the spoke side of my cassette. I had just started the hill, so I quickly got off, tried vainly to fix the problem, but got back to flatter ground to properly address the issue. It was jammed tight.

My heavy bike could not move at all. I jiggled and fiddled with the chain for quite awhile before dragging it off on some grass, flipping it over to have a better look. After some time I took the wheel off and this did no good. I contemplated for the briefest of moments getting my tent out, but I had a reservation just up the hill. Then I thought maybe I'll have a better chance of getting unstuck if I break the chain. I couldn't be bothered looking for the quick link, so I got my chain tool and pushed out a pin and separated the chain. Then, after much pulling, tugging, and major cursing I got it unstuck from behind the cassette! With hardly a concern for what I may have done to my spokes, I knew at this point that I could at least push the bike up the hill. My hands were already as black as the night, so I figured maybe I could just put the chain back together and pedal the beast home. I surprised myself by actually accomplishing this task without boogering up my situation any further.

I pedaled up the short hill, maybe 10 to 12%, checked in with security, got a room, and was asleep by 6 AM, 3 AM Halifax time. The one picture included is the student housing building where I am staying. Watching Belgium beat England to finish 3rd at the World Cup as I write this, and will watch the final tomorrow before leaving on Monday for parts unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment