Saturday, December 29, 2018

ICELAND - DAY 5 - JUNE 7

Today, from the hostel in Laugarvatn, I am in a good spot to do an out-n-back to the end of the ride-able road at Gullfoss. Somehow, the bike is still heavy when I take off a good chunk of the weight I am carrying on it. Overcast for quite awhile, and then like yesterday, the sun came out about 3 PM. This was mostly horse and farming country....and those horses! Believe me when I tell you I know nothing about horses, but these were absolutely gorgeous. From reading, the Viking Age settlers brought the smallest and strongest ones that would fit on their ships for the hard work in Iceland. Icelandic horses are exported to enthusiasts worldwide, but since 982 A.D. none have been imported, so these are all purebred. They are quite a sight.

There is the Geysir Geothermal Field along the road. This is where the word "geyser" originates. Although I didn't walk completely through the area, the main attraction is a geyser called Strokkur (Butter Churn) that erupts every 10 minutes. I did catch a picture of one such eruption. Once you have been to Yellowstone, this place isn't exactly remarkable.

At the end of the road is the Gullfoss Waterfall. I don't have enough grand adjectives to describe it, but I hope my video clips and pictures do it justice. I think I was very lucky to hit a moment in time when the sun was out and rainbows were evident. I did trek down to the lower view point which was quite misty, but you could get a feel for the power of the beast. This river Hvita is coming from glaciers in Iceland's interior. 

The ride back was very pretty with more horses, rivers, and farmlands.

Route;




Pictures;


No comments:

Post a Comment